Friday, January 31, 2014

What a Lost Toy Taught Me About Prayer


This past year, I spent time each week with my little sisters over the phone talking about the scriptures.  We called our little group Scripture Power Team.  The objective was fairly straight forward, we set a goal to read the scriptures daily.  We used our weekly phone call as a way to account to each other for how well we had done that week.  As we would talk during our weekly phone calls, they would read to me the insights they had had while studying their scriptures that week.  I observed how they began to feel the Spirit more commonly in their everyday lives.  

The Lost Toy

I asked one of my sisters, Emily, how her prayers were going.  Emily surprised me when she said she didn't know if Heavenly Father was listening to her prayers, or if He would answer them.  I inquired what she was praying about.  She proceeded to tell me of a recent trip the family went on to a nearby state.  Upon returning, she realized that she couldn't find her DS gameboy (her favorite toy).  After looking for it for weeks, they came to the conclusion that it was left in a parking lot or hotel room during their trip.  There wasn't means to replace it, and so she had begun praying that Heavenly Father would find her lost toy and return it to her.  I tried my best to explain to her that our Heavenly Father does love us and listens to our prayers.  However, he most eagerly answers prayers that will help strengthen our faith and knowledge in Christ.  I told her it was probably not best to only pray about that.  Frankly, after talking with my Mom about the lost toy, I had convinced myself that this was a lost cause.  For weeks, Emily reported to me that she had been praying about more things and was feeling closer to Heavenly Father, but still telling me through her tears how she was still praying for her lost toy.  I decided to pray and ask Heavenly Father to help console her heart, and if it be his will, to help return it.

An Answered Prayer

Months went by and soon it became Christmas.  I had forgotten all about these earlier conversations, but Emily hadn't.  Near the end of Christmas morning, my Dad brought out a specially wrapped, large box with Emily's name on it.  After unwrapping nearly 10 layers of wrapping paper, she screamed and then began to cry.  As we all looked on in astonishment, Emily held up the lost DS gameboy.  My dad told how he was out cleaning the car a month ago and found the toy hiding under one of the seats.  So he thought, after so many months of being lost, this would make a memorable regift this year.  As Emily went to give my Dad a hug, I whispered in her ear, "Heavenly Father heard and answered your prayers."  She responded, "I know.  He did."

O Ye of Little Faith

That morning this scripture came to my mind:

"Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?" (Matthew 6:28, 30

I felt The Lord was lovingly speaking straight to me that morning when he said, "O ye of little faith." Finding the lost toy didn't just bless Emily, it blessed my faith in Him.

I know that it is because of Emily's faith, diligence and humility that she received an answer to her prayers.  This experience has deeply touched me.  I did not believe that this outcome was possible because I relied more upon the knowledge of man, rather than fully trusting in God.  I testify that God does hear and answer prayers. 

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)