Sunday, October 6, 2013

Can I Really Repent Everyday?



Introduction

I sin every single day.  Can I really repent everyday?  I know the answer to that question is yes.  I testify that the power of the Atonement is continuous and infinite in it's ability to heal broken hearts, to perfect every one of us, and enable us to return to the presence of the father.  I promise that as you seek for the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, and listen to those gentle promptings that follow, you will have thoughts and impressions come to you that are given to you for the sole intent to make a change and help you overcome sin.  Whether that change is big or small, I know that as you act upon that impression, there will come into your life an added measure of the spirit, and a greater desire to keep the commandments of God.

Do we need to be redeemed?

Everyday, I am tempted to disobey God’s commandments and sin.  In moments of weakness I give in.  I’m going to go out on a limb and say that you may have had a similar experience.  In those moments, a question comes to my mind that sounds similar to the one that the prophet Nephi (a Book of Mormon prophet; approximately 600 BC) asked:

O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? (2 Ne 4:31)

Do we need to be redeemed?  King Benjamin (a Book of Mormon King; approximately 124 BC) taught that, "the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam," (Mosiah 3:19) and Paul (An apostle in the New Testament; approximately 50 AD) adds that "all have sinned" (Romans 3:23), so what chance do any of us have?  The answer is redemption through Christ' Continuous Atonement.  Utilizing this precious gift however is two fold.

What is the Book of Mormon?


First, Baptism

First, when a person has developed faith in Christ, and repented of his sins, they are prepared to enter into a covenant with God.  Christ taught Nicodemus that, "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (John 3:5).

Jesus Teaches of Being Born Again


Jesus is Baptized by John


Mormon Elder David A. Bednar Testimony


You may not yet be baptized into the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but you can learn more with missionaries in your area by clicking on this link www.mormon.org.

Second: Enduring and Becoming

Once we have made this covenant with God, Nephi asks the second question pertaining to redemption:

"And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path (Baptism), I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.  

Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life" (2 Ne 31:19-20).

The Challenges of Enduring

So how do we press forward with a steadfastness in Christ?  As we encounter the many obstacles and trials that life throws at us, we run into challenges.  A few of these challenges for me include reading my scriptures every day, scouting, holding family home evening every Monday night, serving faithfully in my callings, spending time with my daughter, doing my home teaching, and the list goes on.  If we are not careful, we can allow the devil into our thoughts, and begin to doubt ourselves, doubt past experiences, or perhaps become discouraged looking at the pile of dishes and the mile long to do list that seemingly mocks us.  You were doing great with your personal scripture study before, but now it has been nearly a month since you last opened your scriptures.  Is there any point to this any more?  Is it to much?

God is pleased with every effort we make

I recently read a great book written by Brad Wilcox which I have based many of the following points from.  He provides the following insights from his book, The Continuous Atonement:

One speaker in Church directs, "You can't do everything.  Don't run faster than you have strength".  The next says, "Push yourself.  You can always do more."   One person advises, "Don't worry about what you can't do" at the same time someone else says, "You can do anything you put your mind to." 

I am told the companionship of the Spirit will be my assurance when I've done my part.  However, if I start beating myself up for not being a better home teacher or helping more with family history, then I can drive the Spirit away pretty quickly.

In those anxious moments, the greatest comfort I have found is in knowing any effort is pleasing to God even if He and I both know it's not my all or my best.  It may be far from an acceptable offering, but God accepts it nonetheless because ultimately He is more concerned with the offerer than the offering.  Elder Gerald N. Lund wrote: "Remember that one of Satan's strategies, especially with good people, is to whisper in their ears: 'If you are not perfect, you are failing.'  This is one of his most effective deceptions...We should recognize that God is pleased with every effort we make-no matter how faltering-to better ourselves" ("Are We Expected to Achieve Perfection in This Life?" 207).
Some people see a long checklist that must be completed before we get to heaven.  In reality, our willingness to plod along here on earth doesn't earn us points in heaven, but helps us become heavenly.  Scriptures make it clear that our works are a significant factor in where we end up.  However, this is not because of what our works earn us, but because of how they shape us.  Andrew C. Skinner wrote, "Our condition in eternity will not be determined by what happened to us but rather what will happen in us as a result of the Savior's atonement" (Garden Tomb, 56; emphasis in original). 

Repentance: No Instant Christians

I testify that every step towards God, no matter how far the stride, is a step in the right direction.

Amulek (A Book of Mormon Missionary; Approximately 82 BC) warned the people of the Zoramites and us that we "must not procrastinate the day of [our] repentance unto the end" (Alma 34:32), but we must also remember that there is a difference between procrastinating the day of our repentance and working through a repentance process.  Elder Neal A. Maxwell wrote, "This is a gospel of grand expectations, but God's grace is sufficient for each of us if we remember that there are no instant Christians" (Notwithstanding My Weakness, 11).

President Boyd K. Packer said, "An ordinary soul-struggling against temptation, failing and repenting, and failing again and repenting, but always determined to keep [his] covenants" can still expect to one day hear "Well done, thou good and faithful servant" (Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled, 257).

Change: The Purpose of the Atonement

I grew up in a house full of music.  Both my parents are incredible musicians.  While I was growing up, my parents gave me the opportunity to take private music lessons.  I loved my trumpet, tuba, bass, and piano lessons.  I loved this chance to learn from incredible instrumentalists.  I was encouraged to practice, and apply what I was taught.  Their motivation for paying for these lessons was never to recover the cost of the lessons, but to help me become a better musician.  "When Christ's expectations of faith, repentance, covenants, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and endurance feel trying to us, perhaps it is because, as C. S. Lewis put it, "we have not yet had the slightest notion of the tremendous thing He means to make of us" (Mere Christianity, 205).  We are helped in this line-upon-line discovery when we focus less on what Jesus asks and more on why He asks it" (Wilcox).

Elder Bruce C. Hafen wrote, "the great Mediator asks for our repentance NOT because we must 'repay' him in exchange for his paying our debt to justice, but because repentance initiates a developmental process that, with the Savior's help, leads us along the path to a saintly life" (Broken Heart, 149).  Similarly, Elder Dallin H. Oaks has taught, "The repenting sinner must suffer for his sins, but this suffering has a different purpose than punishment or payment.  Its purpose is change" (Lord's Way, 223; emphasis in original).
"Without the faith and repentance required by Christ there would be no redemption because there would be no desire for improvement.  Without the covenants and the gift of the Holy Ghost there would be no means for improvement.  And without the endurance required by Christ there would be no internalization of the improvement over time" (Wilcox). 

Reprise: No Instant Christians

If any of you are like me, I have had powerful, soul changing spiritual moments in my life.  These moments are filled with light, a strong confidence in my standing before God, and an indescribable sense of peace and joy.  Weeks, days, or sometimes even minutes later I give in, I let my guard down, and I fall.  I have had many sad, pathetic struggles before God, bemoaning the wretched man that I am.  In those sober, remorseful prayers, I wonder if God even believes I'm worth saving.  I wonder if he can even believe one who has fallen so many times before.  I am encouraged by this thought that Janet Lee, a Women's Conference Speaker, offers:

"Christ healed bodies, minds, and souls.  But after he healed the lepers, were they free from other struggles?  After he restored sight to the blind, were they 
free from fear?  Were the five thousand Christ fed ever hungry again?  Was the 
sea calmed by Christ's hand stirred by future storms?  Yes" (Pieces of Peace," 
10).  Our needs including the need for forgiveness-are continuous, and so is 
Christ's Atonement in its ability to meet those needs.

Willingness to be perfected

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I have the opportunity to renew my baptismal covenant with my Heavenly Father every Sunday.  The first Sunday meeting is called sacrament meeting. This is where I’m able to partake of the sacrament: Broken bread that represents Christ’s body, and water that represents the blood that was shed for me.  When I pray, or anyone in the church prays, we speak the words of our heart.  When performing a priesthood ordinance or covenant, the Lord has taught that it should be done in a very specific way.  As I listen to the prayer that blesses the sacrament (D&C 20:77, 79), I find these very encouraging and important words:

that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always 
remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them

Now for emphasis I will restructure what I just read, to help us recognize a key promise made with my Heavenly Father.

that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, 
and that they are willing to always remember him 
and that they are willing to keep his commandments which he has given them

In essence, because our Savior paid the price of justice, He can now forgive what justice never could.  By releasing us from the requirements of justice, He is now able to make a whole new arrangement with us (see 3 Ne 28:35).  In this new arrangement, He doesn't ask us to be perfect TODAY, because justice is no longer in charge, Christ is.  Christ only asks that you be willing to be perfected.

Neal A. Maxwell said, “In fact, while God has given us so many enabling gifts in addition to the gift of life, the only real gift we can actually give Him is to submit our will to His…the one precious gift, our wills! It is the only one we can really give to Him that is not already His!” (One More Strain of Praise [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1999], 93.)

Closing

 If you, like me, have reason to ask:
O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? (2 Ne 4:31)

May we remember Nephi's response to his own question:

And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; 
nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted. (2 Ne 4:19)

I testify that the God in whom I have trusted is a God who cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance, but can lovingly look on repentant sinners with a great deal of allowance and patience.  His hand is stretched out still.  He offers us a second chance, a third and a fourth-as many as we need to get it right.  He knows that change is necessary, and through Christ's Continuous Atonement it is possible, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Lifting Burdens